onsdag 2 april 2025

Violence in Congo-Kinshasa

Homes destroyed by fighting: “Women are giving birth on the ground”

Congolese people forced to return to their homes from refugee camps when M23 rebels entered Goma earlier this year have returned to ghost towns, The Guardian reports. In the strategically important town of Sake, intense fighting took place in early January, leaving homes destroyed or vandalised.

Furaha Pendano, 53, is forced to live in a tent with her husband and seven children on the site of their home.

Batachoka Douglas, who has also returned, says more than 1,000 houses have been destroyed in the town.

“People are unable to rebuild their homes and many women are giving birth on the ground.”

More than 100,000 people who had previously fled their homes due to fighting were forced to leave refugee camps in Goma when Rwanda-backed M23 rebels took the city.

Congo, M23 rebels plan talks

The Congolese government and Rwanda-backed M23 rebels plan to hold direct talks on April 9, sources on both sides told Reuters. Both sides have agreed not to publicly discuss the content of the talks.

A Congolese official said talks were scheduled for April 9 "unless the other side misbehaves."

The meeting, to be held in Doha, Qatar, will be the first negotiations since M23 took over the country's two largest cities in an offensive.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar