fredag 20 februari 2026

Epstein scandal British connections

First royal arrest in 379 years: “Unprecedented”

The arrest of the ex-prince is unprecedented in British royal history, says Craig Prescott, a lecturer at the University of London, to the BBC.

“This is the most spectacular case from the top of a member of the royal family in modern times,” he says.

Not since 1647 has a royal arrest taken place, when King Charles I was charged with treason. Since then, there have been only minor incidents with the justice system. The most serious was in 2002, when Princess Anne was fined £500 after her bull terrier bit two children, a crime she admitted to.

In 2019, the late Prince Philip was questioned by police after driving without a seatbelt.

Andrew's adviser made secret deal with China – helped by ex-prince


Former Prince Andrew is suspected of sharing classified information with notorious sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct. Now The Telegraph can reveal that Andrew's adviser David Stern made a secret business deal with the Chinese state in 2013, a deal that may have been concluded with the help of Andrew. Stern was also a close confidant of Epstein at the time.

The business deal was made with Chinese pharmaceutical companies and the Chinese Ministry of Labor and involved building a dozen data centers in the country.

Emails obtained by the newspaper suggest that Stern and Epstein planned to use the contacts the former prince had built up during his time as Britain's international trade representative between 2001 and 2011 to promote their business in China.

According to reports, Andrew agreed to be part of the scheme in 2010 when he was still a trade representative.

Image of shocked ex-prince already iconic – photographer took a chance in the dark


The image of a shaken ex-prince Andrew in the backseat of his Range Rover is already a classic and fills all the world's media. The image was taken by Reuters photographer Phil Noble, who drove six hours from Manchester to Norfolk after Andrew's arrest.

Andrew could have been taken to 20 different police stations in the area, but Phil Noble was told he had been taken to the town of Aylsham. After six or seven hours outside the police station, hope began to wane – perhaps they had made a mistake after all? – and Noble packed up and left.

A few minutes later, Reuters colleague Marissa Davison, who had not yet left, called to say that the ex-prince's team had arrived. The photographer returned at a fast pace and was met by two cars leaving at high speed. At random, he pointed his camera at the other car and took six pictures into the darkness. Two showed police officers, two showed only air, one was out of focus – and the last showed a shocked Andrew.

– More luck than skill, says Noble.

BBC court reporter Sean Coughlan writes that the iconic picture will be a central part of how the case will be remembered. “It is not a particularly flattering sight,” he writes. 

Information: Wants to change the order of succession

Great Britain wants to change the rules for the country's order of succession, according to information to British media.

This is to be able to remove former Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the list, Sky News reports.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is currently number eight in the line of succession. Before him are Prince William and William's three children and Prince Harry and Harry's two children.

The decision to change the legislation for the royal succession would only become relevant after the ongoing police investigation into the former prince has been concluded, according to the information.

On Thursday, the former prince was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

All Trump has are bombs – an attack on Iran could be devastating

Published 2026-02-19 21.31 

A US attack on Iran is getting closer.

What Trump wants to achieve is clear. However, the risk is that he will wield US military power like an axe, believing it to be a scalpel.

The consequences could be catastrophic.

The US military buildup has been monitored for weeks.

An aircraft carrier group, with destroyers and submarines, is already in place off Oman. Another aircraft carrier is on its way. Fighter jets, aerial refueling planes and command planes have been forward-based. Large bombers based in the US have been put on high alert.

New air defense systems have been flown in and grouped at US bases in the Middle East to meet Iranian counterattacks.

An American attack could come as early as this weekend.

Folk visar stöd till regimen under en motprotest i Iran. 
People show support for the regime during a counter-protest in Iran. Photo: Hussein Malla / AP

The US is demanding that Iran stop enriching uranium, limit the construction of ballistic missiles and stop supporting proxy fighters like Hezbollah.

Indirect negotiations are underway, and the military buildup can be seen as a way to increase pressure on Iran.

But Trump's gun-happy foreign policy over the past year suggests that military power will actually be used.

The question is what an attack can achieve. History gives little reason for optimism.

The Iranian regime has always stubbornly resisted dismantling its nuclear program under threat.

Take the situation in 2003.

Then the regime experienced its worst existential crisis ever.

In just a few weeks, the US had crushed Saddam Hussein's Iraq, the arch-enemy that Iran, despite hundreds of thousands of deaths, had been unable to defeat in the long major war of 1980–1988.

Now, suddenly, hundreds of thousands of victorious American soldiers with heavy equipment stood a few hours from Tehran in both the West and the East, in Iraq and Afghanistan – with a proven willingness and ability to replace unpopular governments through total conquest.

The point:

Even then, Iran did not consider agreeing to a complete dismantling of its nuclear program.

The situation is somewhat different now.

After the fall of Bashar al-Assad, Iran has lost influence in Syria. Its support force, Hezbollah, has been decimated. Israel and the US have been able to bomb Iran's air defenses and nuclear facilities without hindrance, and Iran's counterattacks have proven toothless.

Iran is vulnerable and exposed, with fewer cards in hand and fewer opportunities to fight back.

The regime has also started the year by brutally suppressing large uprising-like protests.

The situation is anything but stable. The grip on power is shaky.

It is possible that the regime's representatives are now so afraid for their own skins that the previously unthinkable has become conceivable, and that a negotiated solution is actually on the table.

But if they do not back down, Donald Trump faces a dilemma he is ill-equipped to handle.

The US hand is in reality not as strong as it looks.

The military superiority is admittedly immense. Trump can bomb anything, at any time.

But what will that achieve?

If you destroy the nuclear facilities, they can be rebuilt.

If you kill the leaders, maybe their successors will back down – but maybe not.

And what happens then?

USA är inte intresserat av ett fritt, demokratiskt Iran, skriver Niclas Vent. 
The US is not interested in a free, democratic Iran, writes Niclas Vent. Photo: Al Drago / AP

The US is not interes a free, democracies Iran. The failed attempts to build democracies in Afghanistan and Iraq are still a red flag for the Maga movement.

The actions in Venezuela after the kidnapping of Nicolás Maduro show that subservience and lucrative deals for American companies take precedence over idealism.

Trump therefore has neither the will, instincts nor resources to take a holistic approach to the situation.

What he has are bombs.

Unfortunately, military power is not a precision instrument.

Rather than a scalpel that cuts away the rot of the mules, we can imagine an axe that splits Pandora's box in two.

If the regime's grip on power is finally shaken, the result will not necessarily be a peaceful transition to a more US-friendly rule.

Rather, there is a risk of implosion and chaos, with different factions resorting to large-scale violence to maintain or establish control.

The experience of Western-backed regime changes in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya is horrifying.

Such a collapse in Iran, one of the largest countries in the Middle East, would lead to an earthquake of instability that would shake the entire region from the Mediterranean to Pakistan – and have repercussions for the entire world.

This is what worried high-ranking people in Europe all last year.

Right now, they can only watch, like us, in fear and awe.

Iransk arméparad. 
Iranian army parade. Photo: Vahid Salemi / AP

 

Iran CLOSES Strait of Hormuz, Trump Deploys F35s: War INEVITABLE | Sharmine Narwani

Danny Haiphong 

 

  

Ten day war ultimatum. Starmer blocks Trump. Spiegel, CIA knew about Nord Stream. Alien distraction

Alex Christoforo 

 

Russia Iran Fleets Conduct Hormuz Exercise Trump Delays Strike: Moscow Says Kiev Army Wasting Away

Alexander Mercouris     

Political situation in Tunisia

Called the leader “commander of the sewers” ​​– gets prison

Tunisian MP Ahmed Saidani has been sentenced to eight months in prison for mocking President Kais Saied on Facebook in early February, writes the BBC.

When the president recently visited a flood-affected area, the opposition politician mockingly called him “supreme commander of sewage and stormwater management”.

“It seems that the president [...] decided to officially extend his expertise to roads and pipes,” he wrote, continuing:

“We are watching with amazement these great achievements – every pothole, every streetlight and every pipeline that he personally supervises.”

Saidani himself was behind Kais Saied’s takeover of power in 2021, which many have condemned as an attempted coup. But over time he has become a vocal critic.

Party comrade is furious: “A violation of the law and an attack”

Party comrades of opposition politician Ahmed Saidani are furious after he was sentenced to prison for mocking President Kais Saied. His colleague Bilel Mechri tells Reuters that the verdict is “a violation of the law and an attack on the institutions”.

– How can parliament hold the executive branch accountable if it carries out an illegal arrest due to critical opinions?

Since Saied took power in 2021, in what critics see as a coup d’état, his grip on the country has tightened. Many opposition leaders, critics and journalists have been imprisoned.

Saied himself claims that he wants to “clean up” the country. Human rights groups have condemned him as an autocrat who has turned the country into an “open-air prison”.