söndag 4 maj 2025

Trump: Does not rule out military force in Greenland

Johan Edgar,

Wayne Seretis

Updated 22.06 | Published 21.27

Donald Trump utesluter militärt våld mot Kanada - men inte mot Grönland.
Donald Trump rules out military force against Canada - but not against Greenland. Photo: Manuel Balce Ceneta / AP

The US needs Greenland very much.

So much so that Donald Trump may consider taking control with military force.

- I'm not saying I'm going to do it, but I'm not ruling anything out, he tells NBC.

The statement comes in a long interview with NBC Meet the Press on Sunday on the occasion of his first 100 days in the White House.

- We need Greenland very much. Greenland has a very small number of people. And we will take care of them and value them and all that. But we need it for international security, says Trump.

Does not rule out military force

In the interview, President Trump says that he therefore does not rule out military force to secure control over Greenland.

– I'm not saying I will do it, but I'm not ruling out anything, says Trump.

USA behöver Grönland ”väldigt mycket”, enligt Trump.
The US needs Greenland "very much", according to Trump. Photo: Johan Nilsson / TT

However, he rules out military force to make Canada the 51st state of the US.

– I don't see it happening with Canada, he tells NBC.

However, he hopes that Canadians will see the beauty in belonging to the US.

– It wouldn't be a cost if Canada were to belong to us. That would be wonderful. It would be a valued state, says Trump.

“Would be beautiful”

– What a beautiful country it would be.

In the same interview, the president says that he "doesn't know" whether he will follow the US Constitution when it comes to deportations of people.

He also says he "does not intend" to run for a third term, which would violate the US Constitution.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar