söndag 21 juli 2024

RIGHT NOW: Biden drops out of the election: "Want to thank everyone"

Joe Biden drops out as presidential candidate

Emil Forsberg

Updated 20.41 | Published 19.49


Joe Biden is abandoning the presidential campaign.

The 81-year-old will not stand for re-election.

"I want to thank everyone I worked with," he writes in an open letter.

"Although it has been my intention to seek re-election, I believe it is in the best interest of my party and country that I step down and focus solely on fulfilling my duties as president for the remainder of my term," writes Joe Biden on X.

The President thanks for the support he has received.

“It has been the greatest honor of my life to be your president. And even though it was my intention to seek re-election, it is in my and my party's interest that I step down and focus on fulfilling my duties as president for the remainder of the term."

Biden will address the nation later this week.

The 81-year-old has been under heavy pressure from heavy-handed Democratic party colleagues after his weak performance in the debate against Donald Trump and the speech during the NATO summit where he confused Volodymyr Zelenskyy with Vladimir Putin.

A total of 37 Democrats called for Biden to step aside before making his decision.

“Let me express my greatest gratitude to those who worked so hard to see me re-elected. I want to thank Vice President Kamala Harris for being an extraordinary partner in all of this."

On August 19–22, the Democratic Party will hold its party convention, where a new presidential candidate will be formally appointed.

USA:s president Joe Biden.
US President Joe Biden. Photo: Nora Savosnick
Joe Bidens brev där han tillkännager beslutet.
Joe Biden's letter announcing the decision.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar