söndag 21 juli 2024

The election in the United States|Joe Biden's resignation

Joe Biden. 
 
Joe Biden.
Biden withdraws from the election: "Being president has been the greatest honor of my life"

Joe Biden drops out of the US presidential election. He announces this in a letter at X.

He writes that he will focus on fulfilling his commitments as president until the election, and that he will address the nation later this week.

"It has been the greatest honor of my life to be your president," he writes.

Demands for Biden's resignation have been pouring in since the debate against Donald Trump on June 27. The criticism has touched on Biden's advanced age and his neurological ability. At least 35 Democratic congressmen and four senators have openly called for his resignation, with many more behind closed doors, according to media reports.

In a follow-up post on X, he expresses his "full support" for Vice President Kamala Harris as the Democrats' new presidential candidate.

Biden's letter in its entirety:

My Fellow Americans,
Over the past three and a half years, we have made great progress as a Nation.
Today, America has the strongest economy in the world. We've made historic investments in rebuilding our Nation, in lowering prescription drug costs for seniors, and in expanding affordable health care to a record number of Americans. We've provided critically needed care to a million veterans exposed to toxic substances. Passed the first gun safety law in 30 years. Appointed the first African American woman to the Supreme Court. And passed the most significant climate legislation in the history of the world. America has never been better positioned to lead than we are today.
I know none of this could have been done without you, the American people. Together, we overcame a once in a century pandemic and the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. We've protected and preserved our Democracy. And we've revitalized and strengthened our alliances around the world.
It has been the greatest honor of my life to serve as your President. And while it has been my intention to seek reelection, I believe it is in the best interest of my party and the country for me to stand down and to focus solely on fulfilling my duties as President for the remainder of my term.
I will speak to the Nation later this week in more detail about my decision.
For now, let me express my deepest gratitude to all those who have worked so hard to see me reelected. I want to thank Vice President Kamala Harris for being an extraordinary partner in all this work. And let me express my heartfelt appreciation to the American people for the faith and trust you have placed in me.
I believe today what I always have: that there is nothing America can't do – when we do it together. We just have to remember we are the United States of America.
 
......................................
According to sources to Reuters, Joe Biden should have been set on Saturday to continue the presidential campaign. The president is said to have decided to step down on Sunday, according to well-informed sources.

American CNN reports at the same time that the president must have made his decision "in the last 48 hours". According to the channel's sources, Joe Biden has spoken with family and advisers over the phone.

The president did not have physical meetings with his campaign managers or advisers because he has covid-19.

Among other things, Biden is said to have spoken with Chuck Schumer, the party's leader in the Senate, during Sunday afternoon local time.
 
.......................................

Joe Biden supports Vice President Kamala Harris in the presidential election, he writes on X.

"Today I want to give her my full support for Kamala Harris to be our party's candidate this year," he writes.

Kamala Harris has been singled out by several top Democrats as Biden's replacement in the presidential election.

"Democrats - it's time to unite and beat Trump".

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar