söndag 17 maj 2026

Attack on nuclear power plant in the United Arab Emirates

Kärnkraftverket Barakah i Förenade arabemiraten, på en odaterad arkivbild från tiden då det höll på att uppföras. 
The Barakah nuclear power plant in the United Arab Emirates, in an undated archive photo from the time it was being built. Photo: Arun Girija/AP/TT

A fire has broken out at a nuclear power plant in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates that was hit by a drone attack, authorities say.

The fire is said to have broken out in an electrical generator outside the internal security zone at the Barakah nuclear power plant, according to a statement on social media.

“No injuries have been reported and there has been no impact on radiation safety levels.”

The fire did not affect the safety of the facility and “all units are operating as usual,” the United Arab Emirates’ nuclear authority wrote on X.

An active partner?

No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, and the UAE has not named any party as responsible.

The UN’s International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) says it is closely monitoring the situation and is in constant contact with local authorities.

“Director General Rafael Grossi expresses deep concern about the incident and says that military activity that threatens nuclear safety is unacceptable,” the IAEA wrote on X.

The Barakah nuclear power plant, which came into operation in 2020, is the first and only nuclear power plant on the Arabian Peninsula. It is the first time the facility, which has four reactors, has been attacked during the Iran-Iraq war.

This comes after Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi earlier this week accused the UAE of being an “active partner” in the US and Israel’s war on Iran.

The move came after reports that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu secretly visited the country during the war, that Israel sent anti-missile systems and personnel to the United Arab Emirates, and newspaper reports that the country secretly attacked Iran during the war.

Several attacks

In recent weeks, several cases of attacks have occurred around the Strait of Hormuz and in the countries of the Persian Gulf. A fragile ceasefire exists between the United States and Iran, but talks have stalled and threaten to return the Middle East to open warfare - which would prolong the global energy crisis triggered by the conflict.

Iranian state media reported on Sunday that the United States has not made any concessions when responding to Tehran's latest proposal for peace talks, according to AFP.

 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar