Prison chief resigns after botched execution
Emergency vehicles leave the prison where Christa Pike was scheduled to be executed. She has been taken to a hospital and, according to her lawyers, has been on a ventilator. Photo: George Walker IV / AP/TT
Frank Strada, the head of Tennessee’s Department of Correction, is resigning following the botched execution of Christa Pike, Governor Bill Lee announced on Saturday.
The resignation is "in the best interest of the people of Tennessee," Strada said in a statement.
An independent investigation is underway regarding the events of last Wednesday, when the state failed to execute Pike despite injecting two doses of the lethal drug pentobarbital into her arms.
"I believe this investigation is entirely appropriate and necessary, and I look forward to doing everything I can to help determine exactly what occurred," Strada’s statement read.
Following the failed attempt, Pike was taken to a hospital, where she remained unconscious and on a ventilator for the next several hours, her lawyers stated in a court filing on Friday.
Inga kommentarer:
Skicka en kommentar