onsdag 18 februari 2026

Iran-US relations

White House: Iran would be wise to make a deal

The US continues to escalate its rhetoric against Iran after two days of talks in Geneva. This is reported by AFP.

– There are many arguments for an attack on Iran, says press secretary Karoline Leavitt during a press conference at the White House.

She emphasizes that it would be “wise” for Iran to make a deal with the US in the negotiations on the country's nuclear energy program in Geneva, writes Reuters.

Some progress has been achieved in the negotiations, she says, and states that Iran will return “within a couple of weeks”. 

Sources: Trump close to attack on Iran – “has grown tired”

The US is closer to a military attack on Iran than previously known, writes Axios. An anonymous Trump adviser states that he is “becoming tired” of the situation there.

– I think there is a 90 percent chance that we will see active operations in the coming weeks, says the source in the White House.

A potential attack would likely consist of a several-week operation together with Israel. Several Israeli sources tell the news site that they are preparing for a war “within days”.

The US has recently increased its military presence in the Arabian Sea. On Tuesday, Iran closed the Strait of Hormuz for a military exercise – for the first time in almost 50 years, writes The Telegraph.

The increased tensions are taking place at the same time as negotiations on a nuclear agreement are underway between the countries in Geneva. The longer a possible agreement is delayed, the greater the consequences could be. And right now, a diplomatic solution looks unlikely, writes Axios. 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar