Nepal prepares for first post-protest election
Election campaigning for next month's parliamentary elections begins in Nepal on Monday, AFP reports. The election is the first since bloody youth-led protests against corruption forced the then government out of power last year.
Nearly 19 million people are expected to vote, of whom 800,000 are doing so for the first time. The Nepalese electoral system is designed so that 165 of the 275 seats in parliament are filled through direct personal elections in single-member constituencies, while the remaining 110 seats are allocated to parties proportionally. Of the more than 3,400 candidates running in direct elections, 30 percent are under the age of 40.
Unusually, this year's election is taking place in winter, which has led to some concern that the weather in some places could make it difficult for people to get to the polling stations.
Marxist veteran challenged by former rapper
When Nepal goes to the polls in a couple of weeks, former Prime Minister K P Sharma Oli, a 73-year-old Marxist, aims to regain power, writes AP. Oli was forced out after last year's youth-led protests.
He is facing 35-year-old former rapper Balendra Shah, who likes to portray himself as a leading figure in the young reformist movement, in his constituency.
Jhapa, 66, says he intends to vote for Oli.
- Our nation needs him, he says.
Chhabi Khatiwoda, 33, has previously voted for Oli but will this time cast his vote for Shah.
- Only the young can create change. It is time for all of us to become politically aware and work for a new Nepal, he says.
Inga kommentarer:
Skicka en kommentar