Sources: Trump had no plans for an attack
Yesterday, Trump said that he had called off a planned military strike against Iran at the request of Gulf allies. That is not true – no attack was planned, government sources told Axios.
Trump claims that he waited because negotiations with Iran are going so well. In fact, he is being pressured by Gulf leaders, who are worried about Iranian retaliatory attacks on their oil facilities and infrastructure, according to the sources.
Earlier in May, Saudi Arabia and Qatar reportedly put pressure on Trump for the same reason, and temporarily banned the United States from using their air bases, according to the WSJ.
On Tuesday, Trump claimed once again that he was “just an hour away” from ordering an attack on Iran. At the same time, he opened up the possibility of attacking this weekend or next week, depending on how the talks go.
Analysis: Vance pressured – but has no answers on Iran
On Tuesday, it was JD Vance's turn to fill in behind the White House press podium. There, the vice president had to prepare for a war that has now been going on for almost three months with no end in sight, writes Daniel Bush for the BBC.
Vance promised that it is not a forever war, but gave no indication of how – or when – it might end. He was also called to account for Trump's words that the American economy does not affect decision-making on Iran, and replied that the administration is keeping both things in mind.
"It was a smooth answer, but a small consolation for voters who are wondering when the war will end – and whether or not they will reward the Republicans in November," writes Bush.
Sky News wonders in an analytical text whether the appearance gave a foretaste of a possible presidential campaign in 2028.
Vance interspersed lightheartedness and jokes with political statements, including on migration and banning politicians from buying shares.
“The appearance was a chance for Vance to stand in the media spotlight after Marco Rubio, another possible candidate in 2028, hosted the White House press briefing earlier this month,” writes Sky News.
Sources: US has seized Iran-linked oil tanker
The US has seized an Iran-linked oil tanker in the Indian Ocean, three sources told the Wall Street Journal.
The ship, Skywave, was seized overnight Tuesday. On Tuesday, it was west of Malaysia after passing through the Strait of Malacca, according to ship tracking data.
The Skywave is believed to have loaded more than a million barrels of crude oil on Kharg Island in the Strait of Hormuz in February. It has been under US sanctions since March.
It is at least the third Iran-linked ship the US has seized.
Inga kommentarer:
Skicka en kommentar