Rubio: Foreign actor involved in airbase incident
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio says it is clear that a "foreign actor" was involved in a suspected—but thwarted—terror plot targeting an airbase in the UK.
Last Sunday, five British men were arrested near a British airbase—which is also used by the US—on suspicion of planning a terrorist act. They have since been released on bail, but the investigation is ongoing.
"It is clear that a foreign actor is involved," Rubio told Fox News.
"There is a lot of news that will come out about this in the coming days, but I cannot say much right now."
US President Donald Trump says the case "could be" linked to Iran but does not go into detail. Iran has consistently denied any involvement in the incident. The President is critical of the decision to release the suspects on bail.
"I am surprised they released them; I wouldn't have done that," Trump said, adding that British authorities have worked closely with the US.
"We know everything about them. We wouldn't have released them."
The five suspected men are aged between 23 and 25 and are based in London.
Inga kommentarer:
Skicka en kommentar