tisdag 18 augusti 2026

Iran talks: Erdogan urges Trump to continue

  
Recep Tayyip Erdogan in a picture from last year. Photo: Khalil Hamra/AP/TT

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is urging Donald Trump to continue negotiating with Iran, Reuters reports.

This despite the US president saying he does not want to extend the ceasefire with Iran.

Erdogan's statement comes shortly after President Trump answered "no" when asked if he wants to work for an extension of the ceasefire and threatened to "bomb the crap out of" Oman if the country stands in the way of a deal on the Strait of Hormuz.

"Erdogan stressed the importance of making full use of diplomacy when it comes to tensions between Iran and the US," the Turkish presidential office said in a statement, which shows that the two leaders spoke to each other by phone.

A 60-day deadline for the United States and Iran to negotiate a peace settlement expired on Monday. No agreement has been reached in the meantime.

On Monday, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said that Iran and Oman were very close to reaching an agreement to allow ships to sail through the Strait of Hormuz, which made President Trump see red.

Turkey, which borders Iran, has repeatedly called on the parties to end the war.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar