tisdag 4 augusti 2026

Delhi has the world's worst air - here's how it's going to turn around

“Wintering without smog”

The regional law is not the first in India, but it is seen as the most important. First, it is unusually far-reaching, and second, Delhi is both the capital and the country’s largest city.

“Delhi’s plan for electric vehicles is one of the most ambitious I have seen in India,” Jaideep Saraswat, an expert at the think tank Vasudha Foundation, told the AP.

He sees the rules as a signal of the inevitability of the transition. As in China – where the number of electric light vehicles is up to many hundreds of millions – he believes that the measures will be popular.

– I live in Delhi myself and I am sure that everyone will be happy about this. To experience winters without smog.

It is when winter is usually the worst, when the winds subside and pollution settles like a lid over the city.

“Three years ago”

Traffic drivers AP spoke to wonder if the infrastructure to keep the batteries charged will be able to keep up. But moped rider Shyam Singh is happy to have switched to electric.

– It has been three years since I queued and paid for petrol. In the meantime, it has become more and more expensive.

– So I save even if I charge outside in the city, he tells the AP.

Siddhant Jha says that his old moped can probably roll for a while longer.

– I want to wait a few years, for better models, he says, referring to the electric range.

– The 150,000 rupees (about 15,000 kronor) I have in my budget will last longer then, he explains to the AP.
 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar